Find reports on a range of topics about health equality from the IHE and other organisations.
Global Summit on the Social Determinants of Health
The World Health Organisation convened the World Conference on the Social Determinants of Health, from 19th-21st October, in Rio de Janeiro.
The Conference helped build support for national policies to address social determinants of health, and resulted in the Rio Political Declaration on Social Determinants of Health.
The Institute of Health Equity team and Michael Marmot participated in the event, including presenting and writing an article for the Lancet, 'Building of the Global Movement for Health Equity: From Santiago to Rio and Beyond'.
Michael Marmot also wrote two blogs about the conference.
A conference run by HAPI in November will help develop the post-Rio agenda.
One Year On
February 11th marked the first anniversary of the publication of the Marmot Review.
Marmot indicators for Local Authorities in England
The London Health Observatory and Marmot Review Team have produced baseline figures for some key indicators of the social determinants of health, health outcomes and social inequality that correspond, as closely as is currently possible, to the indicators proposed in Fair Society, Healthy Lives.
The Marmot Review team released a press release about the new inequalities data.
We received a lot of news coverage after our One Year On event. Below are a few samples, more can be found in the news section.
- Marmot report: how fair is society where you live? (The Guardian)
- Development fears over half of English five-year-olds (BBC News)
- Avoid cuts that will widen gaps in child development, Marmot urges (British Medical Journal)
To mark the anniversary the team also ran and participated in a number of events, assessing local and national implementation, progress and next steps.
10 February 2011: BMA Conference on Health Inequalities - The role of the medical profession.
23 February 2011: Chartered Institute of Environmental Health / Marmot Review Event 'The Public Health White Paper and Local Implementation of the Marmot Review'.
'Fair Society, Healthy Lives' launch conference, 12 February 2010
On 12 February 2010, we launched our report, 'Fair Society, Healthy Lives'.
Professor Sir Michael Marmot was the keynote speaker at the report launch conference. The agenda was framed around the key recommendations of the report:
- Give every child the best start in life
- Enable all children, young people and adults to maximise their capabilities and control their lives
- Strengthen the role and impact of ill-health prevention
- Create and develop healthy and environmentally sustainable places and communities
- Ensure a healthy standard of living for all
- Create fair employment and decent work for all
- Marmot Review Regional Partnerships (London and the North West)
- The Way Forward: Professor Sir Michael Marmot