Find reports on a range of topics about health equality from the IHE and other organisations
Got a project, report or case study to share?
Add your contribution to the global health equality discussion.
Indicators for Local Authorities in England
Fair Society, Healthy Lives was published in February 2010. The report included some suggested indicators to support monitoring of the overall strategic direction in reducing health inequalities. The London Health Observatory and the Institute have produced baseline figures for some key indicators of the social determinants of health, health outcomes and social inequality that correspond, as closely as is currently possible, to the indicators proposed in Fair Society, Healthy Lives.
The indicators are listed below:
• Male life expectancy
• Female life expectancy
• Slope index of inequality (SII) for male life expectancy
• Slope index of inequality (SII) for female life expectancy
• Slope index of inequality (SII) for male disability-free life expectancy
• Slope index of inequality (SII) for female disability-free life expectancy
• Children achieving a good level of development at age 5
• Young people who are not in education, employment or training (NEET)
• People in households in receipt of means-tested benefits
• Slope index of inequality for people in households in receipt of means-tested benefits
On the 16th December 2011, the Public Health Observatories released updated health inequaliy indicators for all local authorities and primary care organisations in England. There is more information available on the Association of Public Health Observatories Website.
By Institute of Health Equity Feb 2011