What we do to support greater health equity
Build the evidence base
We work to ensure that up to date, high quality research evidence is used in the design and implantation of policies and practices by:
- translating evidence into practice (through written and online materials)
- identifying gaps in research and filling the gaps where possible
- monitoring trends in health inequalities and social determinants of health at international, national and local levels
- disseminating research evidence and best practice through our website and networks and facilitatin knowledge exchange.
Influence action that works
We work to influence the delivery of interventions to ensure they incorporate action on health and social and economic inequalities and to ensure learning from practice by:
- working with delivery organisations, including city authorities, voluntary sector, local government, healthcare services, offering advice and guidance
- learning from and reviewing best practice
- bringing implementation experience into policy making
We work to build capacity of the health and public health workforce, of policy makers, community organisations and related national and local practitioners, to understand and deliver on action to reduce health inequalities. We do this by:
- developing and delivering training courses and publishing resources for the workforce
- mentoring and collaborating with individuals, organisations and cities
- developing and maintaining networks of people and organisations and whole areas that are interested in and are working on action to reduce health inequalities through the social determinants.